Saturday, May 31, 2008

Malajube - Trompe-L'œil (2006)

A five-piece coming from the city of Montreal, Malajube is a indie rock group that sings in their native French. Trompe-L'œil is their second album, but I haven't gotten the first as of yet and I wanted to share. The music is fast, reminds me of a great many bands that make a more happy punk-derived sound (Super Furry Animals, Islands), and they do so excellently. Take it for what you will that they've gotten one hit in a cell phone commercial (“Montreal -40° C”) and another is a staple in French-Canadian radio. Also, apperantly whatever the fuck Zeller's is has my favorite track "Ton Plat Favori" in a commercial. Brings a tear to my mind's eye. However, when it comes to the United States they're hardly known, because of the ill-effect singing in anything but English has on attempts to get labels here to sign on to the idea. Therefore I was torn, they aren't famous here because they sing French (to which I'm partial as I've spend a lot of time and money to learn minimum levels of it) and that they seem to have already sold out in their native Quebec. I sure hope I'm not offending any French Canadian readers I might have by posting this disclaimer, or posting them at all, but I make the damned calls here people! Their music is fantastic, and if it wasn't for this quick hands for the moneys they'd have likely stayed in a same select circle of listeners and been remembered fondly, but the nature of indie bands is that commercial success is bad press to the indie kids.

To be had here (224 VBR kbps):
Malajube - Trompe-L'œil

No comments:

Post a Comment