Friday, December 26, 2008

Best of 2008, partie troisième

I hope everyone had a decently enjoyable holiday, at very least those who are somewhere that celebrates it. My sister had me watch that film where they proved Santa was real via mail fraud in a courthouse, exciting shit. My older brother told me about a southern answer to Santa as a young black-breaded fella with a cart pulled by fledgling burrows. Seems fantastically genius to me.

4. Shugo Tokumaru - Exit
Technically this was released in 2007 by a Japanese label, but many including myself never got wind of it until its 2008 release in the United States. I am shamed it took that coming to pass, for it is absolutely magnificent. Of course I can't understand a lick of Japanese, but this music get me so amazingly happy nonetheless. A very awesome gem is the banjo instrumental at the end called "Wedding." The whole thing is quirky and filled with interesting instrumentation, I was awestruck from the very start with the two tracks "Parachute" and "Green Rain" being unforgettably blazed into my mind.

3. Raccoo-oo-oon - Raccoo-oo-oon
Holy shit did this surprise me. I had heard some Raccoo-oo-oon before, and for some reason I was awaiting a long, epic build up to something otherworldly. Nay, my friends, this time it was a few seconds of chiming and it was unleashed full force. A brilliant fully instrumental sound that is somewhere between post-rock and experimental noise, as I've heard it very well discribed, psych-drone. Even though I heard this late in the year compare to most on this list, I immediately knew it must be included herein. I owe my having of this to the good people at ill-formed, I am unsure completely as to what the album art is.

No comments:

Post a Comment