Friday, July 23, 2010

The Abyssinians - Satta Massagana (1976 [1993])

The date on this post seems confusing because this album has been released numerous times with additionally song or in reworked ways, and I do apologize if I got the details of this one wrong at all. I believe this is a 1993 reissue with some added tracks. This is the first roots reggae album I've ever post, and it holds a legendary status among them. The Abyssinians are from Jamaica, as could be assumed, and sung song deeply informed by their Rastafarian beliefs. While religious tenants are obvious in the album, it does not come off a proselytizing, and I don't believe that was the intention for the band. As people who read this blog regularly might have concluded, I am not really worried about particularities of lyrics that much anyhow. I am not a fan big fan of some reggae yet I do especially like dub music, which is what The Abyssinians moved toward in successive years. This is really an awesomely smooth album that I imagine can be enjoyed with or without mind-altering substances. The fact that it had a relatively large cultural impact on Jamaican music and indeed music beyond the island is an interesting bonus. I've taken a liking to listening to it before I go to bed as it really calms me down after work. I have to thank my buddy Johnny for suggesting I download it and hope you'll do likewise and get it.

To be had here:
The Abyssinians - Satta Massagana [192 kbps]

3 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. I don't know if I'm insulting you by listing a few others with the same healing feeling, but check these out if you haven't already:

    Culture - Two Sevens Clash
    Mighty Diamonds - Right Time
    Congos - Heart Of The Congos

    ... and you can't really go wrong with the Gladiators, either. I've turned on a few friends with this stuff, who "don't like reggae" .

    Nice blog, dewds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on the albums. I'm never opposed to getting suggestions, but following up is my weak spot. Hopefully I will on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard this album in 1980 while in New York City. The album simply blew me away. It's one of my favorite roots albums. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete