Monday, April 4, 2011

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯A♯∞ (1998)

Certainly hope that this band isn't being introduced to too many here. After all Godspeed You! Black Emperor is foundational as far as instrumental post-rock is concerned. The reason I'm posting them now is that I went to see them recently due to the generosity of my friend who provided with his extra ticket. The show was pretty righteous and the band played easily for over two hours, and if that isn't epic I can't be sure what would be. The oddly named F♯A♯∞ was an earlier release by the band, around when the line-up became somewhat less fluid. This didn't stop the band members from being in many other notable projects in Quebec or recruiting therefrom. GY!BE has been prominent in my thoughts lately because of the amount of post-rock bands and labels sending me submissions. Therefore, it is only apt to understand how some of the very best do it.

To be had here:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯A♯∞ [256 kbps]

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have visited this blog and its just incredible, so many artists I have never heard of mixed with must have classics..it was seeing the Chico Magnetic Band album you posted that led me to spacerock mountain and scanning through the posts I see The Shaggs and Godspeed! You Black Emperor (I can never remember where the exclamation mark goes!)....you sirs, have exquisite taste..

    This rip is far better than the one I have so bless you for this..the great thing about the kind of music GYBE create is the fact it has no spatio-temporal anchoring points..it could have been recorded 13 seconds ago never mind 13 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice words about my choices. I couldn't ever manage to post so much if I didn't go back to laudable yet not new albums. I believe it keeps one grounded and helps with the writing up of newer releases too.

    ReplyDelete