Sunday, December 18, 2011

Crystal Stilts - Radiant Door EP (2011)

A new EP by Crystal Stilts is always welcome news. I play these cats at the coffeehouse all the damned time. Not so much as they seem to think it is wonderful news to cut my hours and then place us all on furlough for a week to boot. Merry Christmas to me, eh? However justified my ranting may be, it is unrelated to the Radiant Door EP. It was a pretty quickly put out after the release of In Love With Oblivion earlier this year. Two of the five songs are covers, namely Blue Orchids' "Low Profile" and Lee Hazlewood's "Still as the Night." Both covers and originals have the same lo-fi, mildy droning sound that Crystal Stilts are masters of. The opening track "Dark Eyes" does have some real neat organ and handclaps that cheered me somewhat up from the funk my employer has placed me in. Yet my favorite must be the EP ending, the Velvet Underground-esque "Frost Inside the Asylums."

To be had here:
Crystal Stilts - Radiant Door [224 VBR kbps]

No comments:

Post a Comment