Thursday, June 21, 2012

Zany Zongas - North Park (2012)

This California band came to my attention by a cassette I received in the mail from Old Monster Records. As always, thanks for cassettes, it is one of the few sweet spots a cloistered guy like myself gets. The music of Zany Zongas immediately brings easily noted similiarities with the Finnish avant-garde I'm so fond of like Paavoharju and Kemialliset Ystävät. However, Zany Zongas haven't got the folk aspect and are perhaps better thought of as more rock-orientated. I'd refrain from saying any melodies appear, rather it is the use of rock instruments to make their improvised psychedelia that causes me to make such a connection. A strong example of the power of sparsity and experimental rock. Can't recommend enough checking out this album with the biggest headphones you got.

To be had here:
Zany Zongas - North Park

No comments:

Post a Comment